About B.Sc. Horticulture
The College offers a four year undergraduate degree course. The course includes theory and practicals of various subjects in Horticulture. The important feature of course contents is that it includes different subjects in Horticulture and Agriculture . The course curriculum has 160 credits distributed in eight semesters. The departments included in this degree programmes are Division of Fruit Science, Division of Post Harvest Technology, Division of Ornamental Horticulture and Landscape Gardening, Division of Vegetable Science, Division of Plant Protection, Division of Natural Resource Management, Division of Basic Science and Humanities. A separate two semesters is allotted for experiential learning. The student’s academic activities involve delivering seminars, submission of experiential learning reports, participating various sports in intercollegiate as well as inter-university, NSS and cultural activities, etc. The college provides facility of conducting experiential learning courses for ‘Nursery Management’ , ‘ protected horticulture’ which will be helpful to the students to develop their enterprise in future.
Scope of B.Sc. Horticulture
India being predominantly an agricultural country, the scope and utility for Agril. Technology is tremendously increasing. The degree has wide career and employment opportunities. Career opportunities exist both in the public and private sectors in the following areas:
- >> Crop production - fruit, vegetables, nursery stock
- >>Landscape design
- >>Landscape construction and management
- >>Parks management
- >>Sports turf construction and management including football pitches, bowling greens,
- racecourses, golf courses
- >>Horticultural research
- >>Horticultural education and training
- >>Retails sales outlets - garden centers, florists, horticultural materials suppliers
- >>Horticultural therapy
- >>It aims to produce expertise and skilled manpower in agricultural industries, NGOs, Govt. departments, Universities, Research Organizations; Banks are some of the existing career prospectus at National and International level. The challenges of food production, processing, rural employment and Hi-tech agricultural operations are released by Horticulture.